Sunday, November 18, 2012

Spending time with dad


Half way through our Utah camping trip my dad flew out to Las Vegas and joined us. It was great to spend some time with him doing some of the things we like so much. Seeing the Grand Canyon together was especially memorable for me. When I was three years old, we took a trip to the Grand Canyon and as I grew I often thought about going back to what was, in my mind, the best place in the whole world. Then we started a Grand Canyon fund - fundraising consisted of throwing all of our change into the glove compartment of my family's 1978 GMC conversion van (two toned green, last I heard, it still runs) My dad promised we would return to see the canyon in 1989, but as the story goes, my parents won a trip to Hawaii through Carquest auto parts, and the Grand Canyon lost priority.

The hike up to Angel's Landing in Zion National Park was another highlight. I did this hike in 2006 and it intrigued my dad. The landing is a 1,200 foot high rock formation with trails carved into the rock. During the last portion of the hike, the trail clings to a narrow ridge that is sandwiched between two drop offs. A lot of hand contact with the rocks is required and you'd rather not fall!


 

We also took dad through his first slot canyon, which really turned out to be a winner. He kept saying, "I can't believe how much fun were having!" I guess that's why we keep choosing Utah as our favorite vacation spot.

No comments: