Monday, November 19, 2012

My coyote caller

I've always known that my sweetheart used to enjoy the art of coyote hunting. On our Utah trip, he brought his coyote calls to see if we could bring one in just for kicks. We hunkered down and sure enough, within 10 minutes we had a coyote in sight. The animal's sense of sound was phenomenal. From miles away it knew the exact origin of the sound. The sense of smell is amazing, too. Apparently, coyotes always circle around their prey and approach from downwind. We only caught two short glimpses of our coyote. It smelled us and left without a trace.

I have limited knowledge of animal calls, yet I am sure my husband operated his calls like a pro. One sounds like a dying deer, the other mimics a suffering rabbit. I always assumed coyote hunting was an obscure past time until we visited the Sportsman's Warehouse in St. George where we discovered an entire rack of coyote calls, not to mention the aisle of duck calls, room full of elk calls and warehouse of other various animal sound making devices. Now I am just getting carried away.

 
One night the coyotes complained about our campfire when they emerged at the edge of the forest.
 

No comments: