Friday, June 04, 2010

European Kine Grindz

Everyone asks about the food we ate. I am one of the pickiest eaters around, and yet, every meal was delicious. This paella pictured below was one of my favorites, and I ate it the last day in Barcelona. It was a rice dish seasoned with saffron and it had mussels and some type of crawdad things on top and bits of octopus mixed throughout. The veal was one of my less favorite dishes, but it was still pretty good- nice and tender, but I couldn't get over the texture being like beef but not quite like beef. The rabbit was an above average meal, it wasn't unlike squirrel, not too chewy and it was well seasoned.

Breakfast consisted of fruit and bread everyday. Their kiwi were the best I have ever had and the giant loaf of bread required a HUGE toaster about three times the legnth of an American toaster. I tried to like the sausage but it tasted raw, as if it was smoked or cured and not cooked. I just couldn't bring myself to eat it.

I was also frustrated in how long it took to get service and eat a meal. My life doesn't revolve around food, I am always on a schedule, and I tend to eat out of necessity. I can see dining out in Europe is about something else.


Becky and I share a deliscious paella in Barcelona.

After lots of hand gestures and smiling between our group and the man working the meatmarket in Selra, we purchased some sausage. I thought I liked it at first, then it grossed me out. The meatmarket would fit inside our bedroom, and they sold rabbit and had huge pig legs hanging unrefrigerated from the ceiling.

No comments: