Sunday, November 16, 2008

Resort Retreat

Chris and I spent the night at a fancy resort on the Kohala Coast. Our room had an amazing view and we enjoyed our own private beach. But we didn't actually pay to stay at the hotel. Instead, we backpacked from Spencer Beach into the Mauna Kea Beach Resort and camped at this beautiful spot. The moon was directly overhead and we watched it set over the ocean and then thousands of stars emerged. The evening was calm, but the wind picked up late at night and blew sand and dirt all over us. That's what you get for being too lazy to set up the tent. It sounds stupid to camp at a resort, but it felt somewhat remote. We only saw one other person. That may change now that the resort has reopened. (It has been closed due to 2006 earthquake damage and it just opened this week)

The next morning we had a hot breakfast on the beach and we tried a little fishing. Later on, we frolicked on Maumae beach. Chris took a strap from my backpack and the shoe laces from his combat boots and made a rope so he could pull me in the water while I layed on my camping mat. Cheap entertainment. There was one other family on that beach and I am pretty sure we scared them away.

A view from our breakfast spot:

So close to the resort, yet this beach was all ours:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you got to use the bathroom at the resort.