Wednesday, October 25, 2006


Plateau Point

This may have been the highlight of the trip. We set up our last camp at Indian Gardens, then took a 1.5 mile hike each way to Plateau Point. Even after four days in the canyon the view left me speechless. Imagine a 360 degree overlook of the greatest wonder of the world. We could see the North Rim, the Colorado River winding through caverns to the east and to the west, the South Rim behind us and dramatic cliffs and valleys stretching endlessly across the landscape. We ate some spicy curry and watched the view change by the second as the sun set. Crickets joined the roar of the river. Cliff ridges grew dark and stars appeared. The moon crept up behind a cliff and slid behind clouds, then back into view. Words couldn't describe it. This was the unbelievable, incomprehendable view of the Grand Canyon I had always imagined. I stood in awe taking in the sights and sounds, utterly amazed again by the God who made it.

I wish I had lingered just a little longer because the people who hiked back after me spotted a tarantula on the trail!

No comments: