Saturday, September 02, 2006

Lucky I Live Hawaii

The following posts are about our trip to California. It was a great vacation, even if we were only there for three days. Having a friend who works for the airlines sure is an advantage!

I've never been to Southern Cali, and I used to make fun of California. I'll continue to do so. I was amazed by the long sandy beaches and the surf breaks are less crowded than ours. There are also countless bars, people, activities, concerts, etc. But something was missing...the aloha.

Don't get me wrong, I met some great people like Jim's friend Stacey. But being in Southern California is in no way like being in Hawaii. It's loud and crowded and hectic. I always pictured L.A. as a big, glamorous city like Chicago. But there's actually no skyline to speak of. It's just sprawl- endless packed expressways surrounded by chain stores, offices and cement. One huge, smog-covered suburb stretches as far as the eye can see.

At least that's what I saw. Obviously, it's hard to get a fair impression in three days. It was a great trip, but now that I am home I can't stop repeating the phrase, "Lucky I live Hawaii!"

No comments: