Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Good Life

What a fantastic day I am having. I woke up just in time to watch the start of the Queen Liliuokalani long distance canoe race to Honaunau from my lanai. The women paddle 18 miles with the current to Honaunau, then the men paddle 18 miles against the current back to Kailua Bay.

For breakfast I treated myself to Sunlights Donuts in Keauhou. My favorite cinnamon twists were fresh out of the pan when I got there, warm and crispy.

My folks are out of town and I found my dad's Jeep keys hidden in a cooler in the garage. So I rode his Jeep on down to Makalawena, and I was the first person on the beach. The most beautiful soft, white sand in existence. And it was all mine for about 10 minutes. As nice as that was, the drive was the highlight. WEEEE! I'll be lifting my Liberty soon, for the sole purpose of driving to Makalawena.

Then I went to Costco and stocked up on meat and beer for my party next Wednesday. (when the cat's away...) I got extravagant and bought some King Crab legs. Then I stopped at Hawaii Forest and Trail and bought a pair of pants with zip-off legs. I have always wanted some.

Then it was crab leg eating time! MMMMM. I washed them down with fresh Castaway IPA, fresh from the growler. Just as I put that buttery crab to my lips I saw the men returning from Honaunau in the canoes. A perfect day so far and it's only 3 in the afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my best days in Kona was with you and Starr at our little hut at Makalawena!

Andrea said...

I think about that day every time I go to Makalawena. That was one of my best days, too.