Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Magic Mountain, Baby! Magic Mountain, Baby!

Sorry for these lengthy descriptions, I am quite the fan of thrill rides.

My friends and I used to get season passes to Six Flags every summer. I often dreamed of a road trip across the country to use that season pass at Wally World (now Six Flags Magic Mountain.) just like the Griswolds. Well I finally made it to the park this past Thursday, and I can say without a doubt that the park is "Hauber approved."

We rode the Viper, similar to the Shockwave in Chicago, it's the largest looping coaster in the world and boasts the world's tallest vertical loop (140 feet). That was our warm up ride.

My favorite ride of the day was probably the Superman, it was the first roller coaster to break the speed of 100 mph. It's 415 feet tall and it goes 0 to 100 in 7 seconds flat. It's almost as good as the Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH.

Equally as exciting was Deja Vu. I've been on so many roller coasters few surprise me. On this ride your feet dangle, and the coaster is pulled straight up a 196 foot incline- facing forward you are actually staring right at the ground. Then the ride plummets towards the earth, then through a series of loops and turns so fast it's hard to tell which way is up. When you reach the end of the ride you are pulled up another hill, then dropped again to go back through the labyrinth of twists and turns backwards. What a treat!

Tatsu was fun because the cars tilt so the riders are "laying down" with nothing underneath, which gives the sensation that you're flying. I appreciate new ideas in coasters, but the 162 mph, 170 foot high ride was more relaxing or exhilarating than thrilling.

Scream was an enjoyable and smooth 65 mph steel coaster with "floorless" cars. It was kind of a scaled down version of the Raging Bull in Chicago, and both coasters were made by the same company.

Riddler's Revenge, the world's tallest and fastest stand-up roller coaster was definitely the best stand-up I have ridden.

Goliath was a 255 foot high, 85 mph, 3 minute long ride that was defiantly worth taking.

And another pleasant journey took place on Revolution, the first ever looping coaster. It was a smooth ride winding through a forest. More fun than I expected and it was built in May of '76- the month I was born. It was a 55 mph nostalgic history lesson.

Disappointed that X was closed!!!! (guess I'll have to go back)

I enjoyed our day at Magic Mountain. I still prefer Cedar Point, but the Mountain would be worth driving across the country to get to. Even if you have to suffer like the Griswolds.

No comments: