Sunday, July 02, 2006


A Day in the Sun

Jim and I spent the day at my favorite beach, Makalawena. The water was surprisingly cloudy for snorkeling, but we still checked out a couple of sea arches that lie off the north end of the beach. In the winter, the surf occasionally breaks in the sandy area of the beach. You can catch a right and take it all the way across the bay.

What I really like about Makalawena is its remoteness and natural beauty. (no parking lots, bathrooms or crowds here) Because the clearance on my Liberty just doesn't cut it on the Makalawena road we drove down to Mahai`ulas (Kekaha Kai State Park) and hiked the 15 minute lava trail to Maks. And all you non-4X4-ers will be pleased to know they recently fixed the road to the state park so even rental cars can get down there again. That makes sense to me, I always feel bad for the tourists walking across lava fields in the hot sun to get to a state park. All state parks should be accessible.

We finished off the day with some ice cold Coronas at Jim's house. He made me a Mexican meal of tacos, refried beans and his "world-famous gringo guacamole."

Here's a honu we saw:

No comments: