Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Vacation Time!

The following posts brag about some of the adventures I had on my recent trip to Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Everything was incredible, from visiting with my aunt, Alice, riding my snowboard, or just relaxing and admiring God's handiwork.

Biggest Thrill: Riding the X-Games half pipe

Biggest Challenge: Surprisingly, it was something I grew up doing, cross-country skiing. I always liked to think my dad and I were two of the best skiers in the Indiana Dunes, but these Colorado people REALLY know how to use a pair of X-C skis!

Best Brew: Never Summer Ale brewed in Boulder, Colorado. It made me think of when I was a little kid, I would throw ice cubes out the door hoping it would lower the temperature so the snow wouldn't melt. As I downed a Never Summer Ale after my last day at Sunlights Ski Area I wished drinking it would make the snow, and my winter vacation last forever.

Most Fun Day: A toss up between spelunking in Glenwood Caverns or riding 6 inches of fresh powder at Sunlights.

Craziest Sight: It wasn't the vultures I saw gnawing on a bear carcass. It was the crazy 5-foot tall ski jump the kids build on a sledding hill at Spring Gulch. Ten feet after the jump was a landing ramp with a mattress set into the snow. These kids are extreme sledders!

Most Beautiful Spot: Hanging Lake

Wildlife Observed: mule deer, elk, a big horned sheep, two huge vultures, lots of other birds, fox

Other Outdoor Activities: ice skating, down hill skiing, sledding, hiking, swimming in a hot springs pool, snow mobiling

2 comments:

Brian said...

Sounds like you had a blast – although I'm sure some of the X Game athletes were hitting more than just that half pipe...

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO, I can now leave notes for you. Thanks for putting on the anonymous sign up. I need to get tech-savy and create a blog.....
But without Baron nearby, this will never happen.

So glad you had a great time! Love the photos!
Colleen