Tuesday, February 14, 2017

67,953

67,953. That's how many miles of road, rock and rubble have passed beneath the wheels of my 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade. Today I say goodbye to a friend whose transmission has given out, and the repair is too costly to make. Sure, I'm being melodramatic. Yes, I know it's just a car. To me, it's always meant a little more.

I was young, carefree and for the first time had enough money to make irresponsible choices such as buying a car that gets poor fuel economy and installing a lift kit to gain couple extra inches of ground clearance. (Thank you Stuart for the install. You've made the past 11 years of my life better) Loyal readers have read about my ground clearance saga, my complaints about the Wet Okole seat covers leaking at the seams and have seen countless pictures of the Jeep covering the island's off road terrain.

I tracked the Matson ship's GPS coordinates constantly as it carried Jeep from Seattle to Hawaii. The night Jeep came home, Sarah came over and inspected every nook and cranny with me. I almost slept in the car that first night.  I couldn't believe it was mine. I photographed Jeep's first oil change on Jan. 10, 2006, and have even received birthday cards from my car. We've carried surf boards and kayaks on the roof rack and hung sheep and pigs from that bar for butchering. The Jeep would take me on my first dates with my husband-to-be, to work and back for the next 10 years and to the top of the highest peak for thousands of miles where it would finally feel snow under its tires.

Good times, old friend. Good times.


I bought the Jeep particularly so I could drive to Malakawena. Many friends have ridden down the bumpy road to this marvelous spot.

Even Hawaii Jeeps get to enjoy a little snow.

Jeep's first trip up the Kilohana hunter roads

One of our first dates was driving to Keawaiki Beach. The road is now gated.

No comments: