Saturday, March 17, 2012



Seventy-six pineapples


Seventy-six trombones are great for parades, but when it's breakfast time I'll take 76 pineapples anyday, and that's how many we have planted. I can't believe I haven't posted a picture of our pineapple patch yet because I'm so happy with it. Our friend who works at a hotel got us a bunch of pineapple tops, Duane gave us a few prized white pineapple tops, and I occasionally pick up a pineapple at the farmer's market or swipe the tops from decorative fruit platters at parties and Realtor events. We then dry the pineapples, remove the bottom leaves, soak them in water for about a week until roots sprout, then we plant them in good, muddy soil.

The result is our kick-butt pineapple patch. It normally takes two years to get a pineapple once the top has been planted, but we already have one plant with fruit and another with a flower.

No comments: