Tuesday, March 06, 2012

As blind as a snake


Chris found a Blind Snake in our pile of yard waste today and he placed it in the wheelbarrow until I could come have a look. It is common belief there are no snakes in Hawaii, and, well, that's almost true. This tiny snake resembles a skinny earthworm but it obviously slithers like a snake should. It is believed blind snakes came to the islands in potting soil in the 1980s, but unlike many other invasive species, they pose no threat to the ecosystem. That's according to this website that looks reliable enough to me.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sons would find blind snakes under concrete bicycle stands on Kwajalein, Marshall Islands. They eat ant eggs. Rumour was they were venomous, but there was no part of a person they could bite with their tiny mouths

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrea, Yeap, that was what I found at the beach a couple years ago - it was creepy to me - Baron finally figured it out upon my description - good to have smart friends like you guys!!! ~Mele