Friday, February 03, 2012

No, I never get tired of the beach

Even though I live in Hawaii, I am drawn to check out new beaches when I travel. Okinawa had gorgeous stretches of sand decorated by hundreds of ornate shells and no crowds. There were miles, sorry, kilometers of beaches without a single person on them.

One day, I took a kayak trip up a river through mangroves and out into the ocean. Then I jumped into the ocean for a quick snorkel and before I got out the cloudy sky released its torrential rains. I sat in a small cave for about three hours waiting for the rain to clear. The river turned brown as all sticks, logs and debris drifted down the river. It was a reminder that Chris was in Okinawa to help solve erosion problems. The rain gradually slowed, revealing waterfalls pouring over cliffs just across the bay. It was the best three hours I have ever spent stranded. Finally, Chris was able to come pick me up.

Another day, I walked about two miles from our hotel to Ada where beautiful beaches stretched from either side of a marina. One side was natural and surrounded by cliffs. The other side had calm water and many breakwaters for protection. The Japanese do not hesitate to alter their natural surroundings, and they seem to prefer the man made over an untouched setting. I only saw two men fishing on this entire beach. In Hawaii, there would have been hundreds of SUPs and Hawaiian canoes out on such a calm ocean.

One beach reminded me of Pololu Valley. I walked the steep, overgrown trail that was graced by hundreds of beautiful butterflies to have the beach to myself. The snorkeling was amazing, I am pretty sure I identified a turtle nest on the beach, and I watched a wasp chase and kill a cane spider that was frantically running away. Sometimes nature isn't pretty and peaceful, but it captivates, nonetheless.


I had this beach, which reminded me of Pololu Valley, all to myself.



This was just one section of the beach that was two miles from our hotel.


One of the hundreds of butterflies on the hike down to the beach.

No comments: