Friday, February 03, 2012


I'm So Proud of My Soil Scientist

Chris got a job doing a soil survey on a military base on Okinawa and he spent three weeks hiking the jungle warfare training center digging pits and studying the soil in November/December. I was fortunate enough to go along for a week to see a little bit of Japan.

One thing that really struck me was the people. I always assumed Japanese are polite and respectful because their culture requires it, but they also struck me as genuine. Two workers stopped what they were doing and gave us 15 minutes of their time to teach us about the mongoose traps they use on the island to keep the mongoose population in check because they eat the eggs of the endangered Yanbaru Kuina. The chef went out of his way to learn my food preferences and he would bring me special meals without eggs and vinegar. Chris' co-worker, Sung, worked so hard to make Chris' job easier and to help me have fun on my vacation, including driving two hours each way to pick me up at the airport.

The beaches and food were also highlights. More stories to follow.


On a particularly muddy day I wore these rubber boots while following Chris and Sung around the jungle.

No comments: