Saturday, December 04, 2010

December 5, 1993

Seventeen years ago today I gave my life to Christ and was baptised. I was riding in the car the other day when it occurred to me that I have now been a Christian for half my life because I was 17 at the time and now I am 34. I'm not sure why that thought popped into my head because I don't think it is particularly significant. However, I can say this was by far the best decision I have ever made or will ever make.

When December rolls around I find myself reflecting on what it felt like the first time I realized not only that God is real but also that he loves me and forgives me. It is just as true today as it was then, and taking time over the past 17 years to seek God has really been incredible.

Besides worshiping a God of mercy, ours is also a God of justice who demands payment for wrongdoing. As a sinner, there was no way I could pay the debt I owed. That's why Christ gave his life on the cross. Instead of sending me to hell, Jesus paid my penalty. One of the most familiar passages in the Bible promises this forgiveness to all who believe:

For God so loved the world he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!
SO glad you are my sister in Christ and my cousin!
Thanks for sharing!
Love, Jeanne