Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Return to Winter

Going back to Glenwood Springs felt like a homecoming of sorts. I have had three previous visits and all are filled with fond memories. While moving from Indiana to Hawaii ten years ago we drove to Oakland, Calif. to put our cars on a Matson boat for shipping and a visit to Aunt Alice in Glenwood Springs was on the way. I still remember how close to God I felt as I hiked up the majestic mountains, being amazed that in the midst of all that splendor and beauty He cared about me and wanted to involve me in His plan of ministering to others. I thought about that a lot during my first trip to Glenwood for some reason, and I have since flown back twice to spend some time with my dad's super sweet older siste, Alice, and to get a taste of winter.


Well the three days Chris and I spent in Glenwood Springs did not disappoint. Alice is doing great, I finally met her son, Patrick, and we even visited with two Hawaii friends who moved to Colorado a year ago. Chris loved my favorite ski spot, Ski Sunlight, where a day of good snowboarding costs half of what it does down the street in Aspen. This is the kind of place where lift tickets are sold out of a single window by a friendly woman eager to answer questions, and locals are not ashamed to duct tape their jacket if it gets a tear. Our kinda spot! And on the second day it snowed constantly so we had about a foot of fresh powder on the ground. Chris amazed me with his skills- after not having skied for 15 years he was hitting moguls after his second run and he even pulled off a perfect helicopter in the terrain park. I felt so proud!

Too cool for school: Chis poses at the top of Sunlight Mountain with Mt. Sopris in the background. I married an amazing skier, and he even puts up with my silly snowboarding habit.

Hanging Lake: One of the most tranquil and beautiful spots I have been yet.

On the hike to Hanging Lake. The bridges in Hawaii never get this much snow!

No comments: