Thursday, January 01, 2009



White Mountain

Chris and I visited the 13,796 foot summit of Mauna Kea today for a frolick in the snow. I got four runs on my snowboard, Chris driving our trusty Jeep was my ski lift back to the top. The snow was the mountain's best I've ever ridden in, but it was practically white-out conditions. The summit area was socked in with clouds and it was snowing. I couldn't see lumps in the snow and I couldn't see more than maybe 15 feet in front of me. It was a bit creepy but still pretty fun.

We also played with a saucer sled, threw snowballs and people watched. We saw all sorts of people- local folks riding boogie boards and anything else that would slide and some pretty creative winter clothing. Our favorite was a long teri cloth bath robe, which is very likely the warmest garment that person owns. The other type of person on the mountian is the transplant to Hawaii who is well versed in winter weather-snowboarders with all the gear and even some skilled telemark skiiers. It amazes me how much winter gear resides on the island for such an opportuinty as this.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I've heard of people skiing Mauna Kea. Cool to know there are some teleheads there.