Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bring Your Wife to Work Day
I recently volunteered with the US Department of Agriculture's soil survey team to help map the soil composition of Hakalau, a National Wildlife Refuge. That's the fancy way of saying Chris took me to work with him last week.

We hiked all day through thick, muddy jungle searching for the place where the soil type changes. Don't ask me to explain because I really don't know what we were looking for. We almost turned around just before the magic spot was discovered. But in a desperate attempt to save the day's mission, Patrick ran ahead of the group and found what we were looking for. Joy, celebration, and digging followed. It was pretty interesting to see what my husband does- he knows lots of big words and I can see he takes his job seriously. I can't remember the last time I saw three grown men, one with a Ph.D. in wet soils, dig in the dirt and get so excited about it. I was stoked to be there for the hike, it was a day well spent.
Three soil scientists in the field:


Mauna Kea light by the rising sun:

No comments: