Monday, October 29, 2007

Perils of Paradise

Living in the tropics has its disadvantages. I've never considered ants to be more than a nuisance. That's before the power windows broke in my Jeep. While troubleshooting the intermittent problem, I suspected a loose wire in the fuse box. When the windows became stuck open I broke down and took the car into the dealership. The cause of the problem? Ants ate the relay for the windows.

I had been fighting ants in the Jeep for a few weeks prior. The neighbors were probably growing concerned by my singing of Metallica's Creeping Death (Die by my hand...)every evening while I smashed ants and sprayed poison in the car. I never connected the broken windows and the ants. Apparently, ants eating the electronic components in cars is not uncommon in Hawaii. I've been told to leave a perimeter between my vehicle and any bushes, and not to park under the fountain trees at work.

Ant powder on the fuse box in the engine compartment:

No comments: