Saturday, October 06, 2007

I'm not a prophet

Chicago Cubs just lost to the Diamondbacks. They won't be going to the World Series this year even though I insisted with absolute certainty they would go and they would win.

I believed so strongly that this was the year. I'm not a huge sports fan, but Wrigley Field often beckons me. I even have dreams about it. When I stepped foot into that stadium this July after years of yearning to arrive at the address of 1060 West Addison I was overwhelmed with emotion. I believed with every bone in my body the curse had been broken and the Cubs would win the World Series this year. Isn't 99 years long enough to wait?

My soul is in anguish. How long, O Lord, how long? (Psalm 6:3)

1 comment:

Brian said...

Fans of the Brooklyn Dodgers, after always losing to the Yankees or N.Y. Giants, coined the phrase "Wait 'til next year."

Finally, the season leading up to their first World Series title, fans carried signs that read "This is next year!"