Monday, July 30, 2007




1060 W. Addison
I've been a Cubs fan for as long as I can remember. When Jimmy built his White Sox fort down the street and I threatened to tear it down. In 1984 our elementary school janitor convinced the teacher to let us Cubs fans out of class so we could listen to their championship game against the Padres on the radio.

I begged and pleaded with my parents to take me to Wrigley Field. I always got the same reply. "You can't get there from here." They didn't want to deal with parking and traffic issues and year after year they dragged me to Comisky Park instead. In a recent dream I drove my Jeep to Wrigley Field while the words, "you can't get there from here," rang over and over in my head.

Now I'm a grown up and I've learned you can get there from here. Even if here is Hawaii and Wrigley Field is 4,500 miles away. The sun was shining, Old Style beer was flowing and the crust on the pizza was 3 inches thick. Cubs played the Giants. Barry Bonds scored two home runs but it didn't stop the old Cubbies from winning 9-8.

No comments: