Saturday, May 12, 2007

Pepeiao

I did a one-night backpack to Pepeiao in Volcanoes Nat'l Park last weekend with Sierra Club. We went down a 9 mile windy, one-lane road off of Chain of Craters Road, then hiked for 5 miles. I love getting away from civilization. Pepeiao means ear in Hawaiian, I have no idea how the area got that name, but I'll say my ears were happy to be away from TV, cars, phones and barking dogs.

The coolest thing we found was a black widow spider. I didn't even know we had them on the island. It was dark brown instead of black, which I'm told is normal for Hawaii black widows.

It was nice to meet new people and chat about their outdoor adventures. I'm looking forward to future Sierra Club treks like the one we have planned for next weekend- we're hiking to Waimanu Valley. It's a secluded valley on the Hamakua Coast with lush vegetation and towering waterfalls.


A view of Mauna Loa Sunday morning:


Diane in the tall grass:

No comments: