Tuesday, July 04, 2006


Where's the beef?

I left the house this morning just as my dad threw bacon into the frying pan. I had to get up to Waimea so I didn't have time to wait. On my way to Parker Ranch's rodeo in Waimea I thought of nothing but meat. And why shouldn't I? A rodeo at the nation's largest privately-owned cattle ranch, ya know there's gonna be some grilling going on. Imagine my surprise when I read the concession stand menu: sushi, bentos, pork adobo. Don't they know this is America? Don't they know it's the 4th of July? Where's the meat on a stick? Where's the steak? Where's the shish kabobs, the corn dogs, the sweet corn? I settled for chili served on rice. It DID have beef in it.


I happen to love America. Most folks are well aware of that. I was blessed to get a taste of some great patriotic music this afternoon by Mele O Kona, our local chapter of Sweet Adelines. Jerri and Barbara, fellow WHT comrades, sing in the barbershop chorus. They performed the national anthem under this great big American flag. I love big flags. I love America.

No comments: