Sunday, June 11, 2006


Rompin' around in rivers

Jim and I went up to Hawi Saturday to see what we could see. (my new friend, Scuba diver Jim, not teacher Jim who is in Europe.)

I forgot the sky could be so blue, it was a gorgeous day! We walked up a river navigating thick vegetation, slippery rocks and mud. We were looking for a waterfall but I finally realized I had lead Jim up the wrong river. Then we walked to the bottom of Pololu Valley and played in the waves and rinsed off the yucky river water. (the above photo shows the view from the top of the valley) The surf was as calm as I have seen it at Pololu and there didn't seem to be much of a rip current. (the currents are usually pretty nasty in there so be careful!)

Feeling refreshed we took another stab at finding the waterfall. And it was well worth the effort, mosquito bites and all. Then we took a dip in the ocean at Mahukona and finished off the day with some icy cold Kona Brews and meaty, cheesy burritos at Tres Hombres in Kawaihae.

No comments: