Saturday, April 29, 2006


Wild Times in West Hawaii

Ho`okena was teeming with wildlife today. And lucky me, I brought my camera. I hoped to catch a glimpse of the Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins that were cruising the bay. The dolphins frequent calm water during the day while they shut off half their brain to sleep. I didn't want to disturb them like so many obnoxious snorkelers I see, but I did want to get a peek at the dolphins. So I just floated in the water for about 20 minutes and waited for the dolpins to come to me. It was amazing! I just stayed still and several times groups of dolphins swam right by me. They are so graceful and playful. From underwater I could hear their high pitched squeeky sounds. I could have stayed out there all day, but I'd be pretty annoyed if a bunch of people gawked at me while I was trying to take a nap. So I headed to the north end of the bay to snorkel.

And that was no disappointment, either. I saw several Green Sea Turtles, a few schools of fish, an eel, and two flounders along with the usual ocean critters. Not a bad day.









No comments: