Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Weekend Events

311
Friday 311 played the Kona Brew Pub. I was fairly impressed with the performance, the concert was even more fun than I expected. I love their distorted rock guitar sound, and their island style and rhythm made for some good dancing music. Throw in a bunch of great friends and a few ice cold Fire Rock Pale Ales and you've got yourself a great evening.

End of the World
Saturday we had breakfast at Aloha Angel Cafe before going to End of the World. Sarah spearfished, Nate and I cliff jumped and Nadia worked on her tan.

Pine Stumps
Sunday I went to church and surfed Pine Trees. (or Pine Stumps as Ken now calls it) It's one of the best places in the whole world and seeing bulldozers clear the land for 500 luxury homes and a golf course makes me sick. To add insult to injury they put wood chips down over the worst parts of the road, so driving my Jeep down there isn't even fun anymore. I saw a Pontiac Sunbird down there for crying out loud! It's even more disgusting to think that when I drive over those woodchips I am running over what used to be the famed Pine Trees that were recently cut down and mulched. Kinda like chopping up a good friend and throwing his body parts out in the street for public display. Trust me, this won't be the last I write about the tragic devastation of Kohanaiki.

Can a baptism get rained out?
My other Sunday excitement came when I went to a baptism/ pot luck at Old A's. I have been attending a different church lately (Grace Community Church, which I find to be totally awesome) The weather held out but it looked like it would start pouring buckets any minute which made me wonder, "Can a baptism get rained out?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I can't even fathom Pine Trees as mulch. That was one of the first places I ever explored when I moved to the Big Island and knew it would be home for awhile after finding it so beautiful!
Hope you are doing well!!!

Andrea said...

It's weird to see the trees gone, that's for sure. It's such a beautiful spot, a friendly, family-oriented place, and the most safe camping spot around. I'll bet most local kids surfed their first waves there. I'm trying to go as often as I can now to enjoy it- it won't be the same when the road is paved, they put up bathrooms and a concession stand, and it's surrounded by luxury homes and a golf course!