Monday, February 20, 2006

Adventures in Glenwood

I've been snowboarding almost every day. I went to Beaver Creek Saturday, it's owned by Vail. It was a fun day, the snow was fantastic, and the resort was HUGE. I resolved to ride every lift they have (I think there's 17) I rode almost all of them, but missed at least one. It was apparent that Vail is for the rich- $81 lift tickets, $14 slope side buffalo burgers, ect. My most exciting time was getting stuck on the lift for a half-hour when the entire valley lost power. Apparently, below zero temperatures in Denver lead to a natural gas shortage that resulted in rolling blackouts. Ski patrol was about to evacuate the lift with a belay (something I really wanted to be a part of) then they finally got the secondary diesel engine going that powered the lift. Bummer!

A view of the Ritz-Carlton at Beaver Creek: (home of the $14 burger)





Yesterday, I spent three hours crawling around in a cave at the top of Lookout Mountain. Check out http://www.glenwoodcaverns.com/

I felt like a kid at Chucky Cheese crawling through the cave and checking out pits, stalagtites, cave bacon, cave corral, ect. The smallest crack we crammed through was 18" wide. I didn't bring the camera in the cave but here's a photo of a wooden mold of "White Rabbit Hole," the smallest spot we went through. If a large customer comes to the tour they have them crawl through the mold first to be sure they'll fit. The mold has hinges and can be opened if someone gets stuck. The cave does not.

White Rabbit Hole:




No comments: